1 - NEEDS ANALYSIS: What do you want your new home to be?
You’ve decided to buy a new home! Congratulations! Now, in order to create a clear picture of what you want, it’s time to develop a written analysis of your needs. This is a three-step process that we go through with prospective buyers during the Buying Consultation Appointment.
1. Why are you looking for a new home? Ultimately, what do you expect your new property to provide?
2. What is your time frame for buying your home? Determine a rough schedule that can be refined later.
3. What would you like your new home to look like and what features should it have? Create two lists: the first is your dream home and the second is a home that focuses on primarily your needs. This will help you differentiate what you "want" vs. what you "need."
2 - MORTGAGE INFORMATION: Determining What You Can Afford
After you’ve determined the features you want in your new home, you’ll need to seek advice on how much you can afford. We are happy to work together with you and your mortgage advisor to make your purchase a smooth and enjoyable experience. If you do not already have a mortgage advisor we would be happy to put you in contact with one. A mortgage advisor will:
• Help you determine how much you can afford
• Have up to date mortgage rates
• Explain closing costs, down payment options, etc.
• Explain the difference between being prequalified and preapproved
• Help you get either prequalified or preapproved
3 - HOME SEARCH: Finding Your Dream
You know what type of home and neighbourhood in which you want to live. Based on the 'Needs Analysis' that we helped you with in Step 1, we will help you to narrow down the neighbourhoods that are right for you and establish an MLS search with your specific criteria.
If you are new to Ottawa, or already live here but want to learn about the different neighbourhoods we can help. We will perform an overview of the neighbourhoods that are most likely to meet your criteria; we will also provide school info, amenities, property sales data, public transit, and neighbourhood tours.
The Hooper Home Team advantage:
4 - MAKING AN OFFER: You’ve Found It!
Once you’ve located the home you want, it’s time to make an offer. The offer process is extremely important, and we work with diligence and care to ensure that your interests are protected.
The Hooper Home Team Advantage:
5 - NEGOTIATING TO BUY: Happiness through Compromise
Successful negotiating is based on the premise that in the end both the buyer and seller will be happy. Once your offer has been made there may be areas open to negotiation. During this time we put our experience and expertise to work, ensuring that you get the finest terms and price. Some areas that may be open to negotiation include:
• Closing costs
• Necessary repairs
• Appliances and fixtures
• Closing date
6 - VENDOR COORDINATION: Our Job is Not Done Yet!
After your offer has been accepted your property will need to be thoroughly examined. This means various inspections and procedures will be performed to protect your investment. We work with you to coordinate and supervise these efforts, saving you time and money. These procedures may include:
• A formal appraisal and survey of the property
• A property inspection
• A foundation inspection
• An environmental inspection
• Obtaining property insurance equal to the full replacement value of your property
7 - PRE-CLOSING PREPARATION: Closing in on the Closing
As the closing date approaches we want to make sure that you are ready for a quick and easy closing by:
• Coordinating the necessary documentation with your lawyer.
• Answering any questions that arise as the date approaches.
• Staying in touch with your lender
8 - CLOSING: You Have Arrived
Closing is the legal transfer of real estate from one person to another. During a closing, which is usually held at your lawyer’s office, numerous legal documents are signed and the collection and disbursement of funds occurs. The Hooper Home Team will be available at this time to handle any questions or resolve any issues that may arise. After closing the property is yours.
9 - POST-CLOSING: You Thought You Were Finished
You are home. We can provide a list of utilities and important local phone numbers to ensure your change in address and services is as smooth as possible.