Just south of Ottawa’s Canal Neighbourhoods lie several home developments within a large community known as Alta Vista. This large area encompasses several sub-neighbourhoods including Faircrest, Playfair Park, Rideau Park and Urbandale, to name a few. Each of the communities within Alta Vista provides a unique mix of urban conveniences alongside the advantages of quiet suburban living.
Homes in Alta Vista
Alta Vista, which means high view in Spanish, is aptly named, as the area is generally at a higher elevation than the rest of the city.
If you’re considering homes in Alta Vista, you can’t go wrong because this area has so much to offer. The area is a mostly residential neighbourhood with several schools, churches, and community centres, along with lots of green space and many parks. It’s broadly considered to be the area bordered by Smyth Road, in the north, St. Laurent Blvd in the east, Walkley Road and Heron Road in the south, and Bank Street and Riverside Drive in the west. However, there are several sub-neighbourhoods in this area, and the core Alta Vista neighbourhood, which is centred on Alta Vista Drive, is bordered by Pleasant Park Road to the south, and Heron Road in the east.
If you’re a healthcare professional looking for a home in Ottawa close to your work. Healthcare facilities such as the Ottawa Hospital General and Riverside campuses, The Pearly and Rideau Veterans’ Healthcare Centre, and the Children’s Hospital of Eastern Ontario (CHEO) are all in this area.
- Alta Vista Public School, 1349 Randall Ave, Ottawa, ON, K1H 7R2
- St Patrick’s Intermediate School, 1485 Heron Rd, Ottawa, ON, K1V 6A6
- Charles H. Hulse Public School, 2605 Alta Vista Dr, Ottawa, ON, K1V 7T3
- École élémentaire catholique d’enseignement personnalisé Lamoureux, 2540 av. Kaladar, Ottawa, ON, K1V 8C5
- École élémentaire catholique Marius-Barbeau, 1345 av. Nottinghill, Ottawa, ON, K1V 6T3
- Featherston Drive Public School, 1801 Featherston Dr, Ottawa, ON, K1H 6P4
- McMaster Catholic Elementary School, 1760 McMaster Ave, Ottawa, ON, K1H 6R8
- Pleasant Park Public School, 564 Pleasant Park Rd, Ottawa, ON, K1H 5N1
- General Vanier Public School, 1025 Harkness Ave, Ottawa, ON, K1V 6N9
- Clifford Bowey Public School, 1300 Kitchener Ave, Ottawa, ON, K1V 6W2
- Patrick’s High School, 2525 Alta Vista Dr, Ottawa, ON, K1V 7T3
- Ridgemont High School, 2597 Alta Vista Dr, Ottawa, ON, K1V 7T3
- Brookfield High School, 824 Brookfield Rd, Ottawa, ON, K1V 6J3
- Hillcrest High School, 1900 Dauphin Rd, Ottawa, ON, K1G 2L7
- École secondaire catholique Franco-Cité, 623, chemin Smyth, Ottawa, ON, K1G 1N7
- Canterbury High School, 900 Canterbury Ave, Ottawa, ON, K1G 3A7
(Ottawa’s Arts High school featuring programs in dance, drama, literary, music, or visual arts).
Community programming, recreation, and special events are run by the Alta Vista Community Association (AVCA – avca.ca). The Jim Durrell Recreation Centre offers everything from Hockey development programs to skating lessons and is the home of the Ottawa Junior Senators. The Canterbury Community Centre offers an indoor pool and a range of recreational and sports programs.
Why We Love This Area
Just a short bike ride from shops and restaurants on Bank Street, this family-oriented community provides the best of both urban and suburban living. With larger homes and larger lots, you forget you’re just a short distance from all the conveniences of the city. The area offers lots of parks and green space, including Orlando Park, Grasshopper Hill Park and Pleasant Park Woods. This is an established community developed in the 1950s and 1960s where you’ll find a mix of retired residents and young families (many of whom grew up in the neighbourhood and returned to raise their own families). With its large number of bungalows, the area is as popular with lovers of mid-century modern architecture as it is with mobility conscious seniors.
- Want to learn more about the history of rail transportation? How about the evolution of television or sound recording? Find out about these aspects of science and many more at the Canada Science and Technology Museum, at St. Laurent Blvd and Lancaster Road.
- Up for some great seafood? Try the Pelican Fishery on Bank near Kilborn. Eat in or take out — either way, you’re in for a delicious treat. Tip: order the fish and chips, or the lobster poutine (there are no words to describe how good this is).
- Sala Thai offers a large selection of authentic Thai food. Located at 2666 Alta Vista Drive near Bank St., it’s a favourite of local residents. Tip: try the pad thai lunch special. Some say this is the best pad thai in town.
- Serious about cycling, snowboarding or skiing? Check out Rebec and Kroes Cycle and Sport at 2629 Alta Vista Drive. This long-established sporting goods store is known for its great customer service.
- Flying Piggy’s Bistro at at 1665 Bank St. is another local favourite. This place gets high marks for both food and service. Some patrons claim their homemade ravioli rivals the best they’ve had in Italy.
- Three Sisters Bakeshop on Kilborn Avenue boasts great coffee and a friendly neighbourhood feel, not to mention amazing homemade baked treats. Tip: Try one of their fresh grilled paninis, and indulge in a fudgey brownie for dessert.