Old Ottawa South
Old Ottawa South
Old Ottawa South is a compact, vibrant neighbourhood originally developed as a suburb of downtown Ottawa at the turn of the last century. Its carefully maintained red brick and clapboard homes, famous for their front porches, still give the area its historic charm. Growth of the are continues to this day, as most infill homes adhere to an aesthetic and scale that maintains the historic character of the neighbourhood.
Old Ottawa South is located just South of the Glebe, between the Rideau Canal to the North and the Rideau River to the South, Avenue Road on the East, and Bronson Avenue to the West. Although Carleton University is on the West side of Bronson, it is considered to be within the boundaries of Old Ottawa South.
- Hopewell Public School – JK-8
- Glebe Collegiate Institute – 9-12
- Immaculata High School – 7-12
The Ottawa South Community Association runs programs out of the Old Firehall at 260 Sunnyside Ave, www.oldottawasouth.ca. Brewer Pool and Arena are operated by the City of Ottawa, and run a range of swimming and skating programs year round.
Why We Love This Area
Great restaurants, gelato, the many parks and great bike shopping top our list for this neighbourhood. The tree-lined streets of this family-friendly neighbourhood are always bustling with activity — kids playing road hockey, friendly neighbours chatting on street corners, and families out for a bike ride are all common sights around Old Ottawa South. The eclectic selection of boutiques, access to many local parks and recreation facilities, you’ll have no trouble keeping busy all weekend long.
- Take in a show at the Mayfair Theatre. Built in 1932 and maintaining its vintage décor, this theatre will take you back to the Golden Age of Hollywood.
- Sample world-class gelato at Stella Luna Gelato Café. Co-owner Tammy Giuliani trained at Italy’s “gelato university”, Carpigiani. So you know this stuff has got to be good!
- Stop at Taylor’s Genuine Food And Wine Bar (before or after a movie, perhaps) for some charcuterie and delicious artisan cheeses. Pair that with one of their selection of wines, and you’re in for a treat.
- We love kitchen gadgets. And C.A. Paradis has it all. From the latest in mixers, juicers and coffee makers to top-of-the-line accouterments for serving wine.
- Shopping for a unique gift? Check out Greyhorne Interiors. While it’s fun to walk among their selection of high-end contemporary furniture and dream about purchasing a super-funky accent chair, Greyhorne also has innovative gift items for all budgets. www.greyhorne.com